Five Most Common Equipment Failures, and How They Can Be Mitigated
1. THREADED FASTENER LOOSENING Constant vibration, shock, thermal expansion and contraction, torque and fatigue can cause once tight fasteners to loosen. This can cause costly leaks or critical machine failure. Keep fasteners locked in place with LOCTITE® anaerobic threadlockers. Anaerobic thread lockers are applied as a liquid, but cure as a thermoset plastic actively locking parts together while preventing corrosion and seizure. Anaerobic thread lockers also allow for easy disassembly when required.
2. LEAKS FROM THREADED FITTINGS Leaks caused by gaps in threaded fittings can release hazardous fluid or gas, posing great environmental and financial risk. Even if the leak is just a 1⁄16” air leak it can cost up to $1,000 in maintenance annually. Keep fixtures and fasteners tight with LOCTITE® anaerobic thread sealants. Thread sealants provide a barrier that air, gas, moisture and oil cannot penetrate.
3. SPUN BEARINGS Replacing bearings, depending on your equipment and application, can be costly. Keep your bearings running as they should be with LOCTITE® retaining compounds. The LOCTITE® formulation join cylindrical, unthreaded metal parts and can solve the problem of spun bearings while also preventing corrosion.
4. GASKET FAILURE Traditional compression gaskets are prone to failure after extended periods of stress. Anaerobic or liquid gaskets from LOCTITE® are formulated to form-in place (FOP). These gaskets are liquid when exposed to air, but once compressed between two mating flanges harden into a thermoset plastic, filling any microscopic gaps.
5. EQUIPMENT WEAR Over time, consistent use of equipment, is prone to damage, either from mechanical attack, chemical attack or corrosion. Preventing this damage comes at a lower cost than time sensitive, rushed repairs. Use a LOCTITE® epoxy-based, water-resistant coating to deliver long term protection and reduce the risk of unplanned downtime.
Plus, for a limited time. Spend $100+gst on any LOCTITE® products in one transaction, and you could win 1 of 10 $2,000 travel vouchers*.